Monday, December 28, 2009

What are you hiding?








 
"... what does that mean, know me? To know me? ... nobody ever knows anybody else... ever! You will never know me." - Rules of Attraction



What does it really mean to know somebody? I feel like I know the people closest to me, but maybe I don't. As I type that, I realize, even the friends I hold deep in my heart, don't know a lot about me. They don't know all the things I've done, or how I feel deep down in the pit of my stomach. But the truth is, if given the option between the version they have of me, vs. the reality; they would pick the version they already know. Because we all have dirty little secrets. We all have things that we don't want anyone to know. There are some things you just don't tell the people you love, not because you feel shame for what you've done, but because your decisions affect them, and if those decisions will stain their memories of you, it becomes more considerate to simply keep it to yourself. So we keep our secrets bottled up tight. No one has to know, and no one really wants to know anyway. No one really wants the unedited, directors-cut version of you. We all want the studio release. The one that passed all the focus groups, the one that the critics gave two thumbs up. Commercial, marketable, packaged up in a pretty little box with a fancy bow. This is me, and you, and them, and everybody I know but don't really know.

There is something safe in not knowing the deep dark secrets of those around us. What if they're dirty? What if they're evil? What if they scare us? Would we ever be able to look at these people the same way again? We like the cover up. We like the shroud of seeming "normalcy" that cascade these people we give our hearts and respect to. Friends, lovers, professors, fathers, mothers; we trust them, with a partial blind eye attached to the love.

This isn't a conspiracy theory I'm working on either. These lives we live are full of so many different faucets, how could we ever expect someone to "know" about all of it? How can we expect someone to "understand" everything as well? Without judgment, without losing their respect, or their trust...

Maybe it's just me though. Maybe I'm the one with the secrets. All the compartmentalized sections of my mind, where I live many different lives; each one co-existing with the others. A myriad of different people, all residing together in this chaotic cluster fuck known as my life. Functional schizophrenia; that's what I'll call it. I know what you're thinking though... "Oh Bridgette, look at you being all dramatic." And maybe that's true. Maybe I am a little "dramatic." But more so than my drama induced, self-diagnosed multiple-personality disorder, I'm terribly frightened that it really is, just me. That I'm the only one with the secrets; with the evil and devious thoughts. That I'm the only one with this fear in my belly, of ultimately being "found out," and the picture perfect version of who I am, shattering right before my eyes.

Maybe I'm afraid of myself. The places I've been, the disasters I've created and then run away from. Maybe I'm afraid of what I know I'm capable of. There is an evil inside of me; a small bubble of revenge soaked hate. Right now, it's buried so far down, it seems quite impossible that it could ever surface in the same way it once did; so many years ago. But I can feel it churning around inside me. I can feel it shifting positions, just waiting for someone, something, anything, to pull the trigger. But it wouldn't be some miraculous explosion. It wouldn't come gushing out with puddles of muck encasing my feet. It would be a slow burn, a calculated leak. Bit by bit, piece by piece, moving at a snails pace through my whole body, taking over one cell at a time; until I was entirely consumed in the magnificence of it all.


So dramatic Bridgette!

... and it's true. I am quite dramatic. Jumping from point A to point Z and then back again, in a matter of mere seconds. But the truth behind the dramatic tonnage I so frequently flood my words with, lays a concept I believe most fully in:

We all have deep dark secrets inside of us. Secrets that would destroy us, free us, or simply stain the image those we love have of us. In the end, we're the only ones that have to live with these secrets. We choose whether or not sharing them would do more harm than good. Because even if you don't want to believe it, the truth is, NONE of us really want to know what it is those around us are hiding. NONE of us want the whole story, the full picture, all 50 takes of the same scene. You might think you do, but you don't. Because if you knew what I knew, you wouldn't want to know me anymore. And if you told me that one thing you've never told anybody, I probably wouldn't want to know you either.

And isn't it a little funny? Knowing all the dirty secrets we have, yet still feeling like we can judge those around us who are either, brave enough to let theirs out, or were careless enough to let themselves become exposed. I can't decide if that's ironic, or tragic, or both?

Ultimately, I probably don't want to know your secret, and you most definitely don't want to know mine. But just for the record, I know you have one, or two, or many. And there will come a day, most likely in a post-coital moment of embrace, where your defenses will have fallen to waste-side, and you'll be bleeding vulnerability right into my arms. And I'll ask you a question that, if truthfully answered, would end it all. So quiet your lips. Close your eyes. Take a moment, and ask yourself...

What are you hiding? 

Because we're all hiding something. Some of us better than others, but nonetheless, your secrets are yours and yours alone.
 
Believe it. Learn it. Hold on to it. 

I'm telling you right now... you don't really want to know.



love you mean it.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... I like to think I'm a very nonjudgmental person and could handle knowing anything about someone I care about, but this has made me think... Perhaps, I am too open with my secrets because I'm generally an open book. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The secret, the big, big truth that no one ever wants to think about is this: you're a monster. But so am I, and so is he, and so is she and all the rest of the people in the audience. Deep down where it matters in that heart of hearts, most people are truly monstrous.

    And you know what? The quicker someone embraces that monster--warts, scales and all--the sooner they liberate themselves from fears of rejection and others expectations.

    -Jekyll

    ReplyDelete